Meditation is a method or technique to quieten the mind and train it to induce a state of consciousness. Meditation can either be done to avail some or the other benefit like reducing stress, depression, anxiety, etc., or can be done without any purpose. There are many ways of doing meditation, but one thing that is common to all these techniques is that they promote better breathing, relaxation and calmness. Meditation helps us be more aware of ourselves and our surroundings and is now being practiced all around the world by business owners, yoga enthusiasts, singers, corporate executives and people from all walks of life.
Meditation is also often termed as mindfulness meditation which means that it can be described as an awareness of activity and experience in the current moment. When one concentrates on his/her breathing or focuses on a single point entity, he/she tends to gain more control over thoughts and can apply them to what he/she wants without distraction. This is the reason why it helps improve focus and concentration and is thus advised to students, working mothers, and even entrepreneurs. In this article, we shall discuss how and why meditation is suitable and fantastic for entrepreneurs.
Most midwives would agree that business ownership demands them to be highly focused, active and constantly motivated to achieve self-development. This is a field of work where one has to juggle several duties and tasks at once, and for this, a high level of concentration and hard work is needed. There is no place for negative thoughts, stress, and impatience. Meditation thus works tremendously well since it makes way for better sleep, and patience and also helps the brain to be highly productive.
As a busy midwife, try to set aside a few minutes every day for a quiet session of meditation, then you will not only begin to observe changes in your professional life but also in your personal life with mindfulness meditation.
Ways meditation can make you a better entrepreneur
1. Eliminates distraction. One of the ways in which meditation can help you become a better midwife is by helping you reduce and even eliminate distractions. By meditating regularly, you will begin to experience better control over your thoughts and this in turn will make you feel more focused. Your brain will be able to process emotions and pain in a much better way when focusing on your breathing over a period of time can enable you to control the cortical alpha rhythms. This improved focus helps to reduce all kinds of distractions at work.
2. Promotes healthy sleep. For every busy and overworked entrepreneur, it is very important to get a healthy and peaceful sleep every night. But due to innumerable matters at work and stress, good sleep may be hard to come by. Meditation improves sleep quality since it allows the mind to relax and be calm. It promotes better control over emotions, and this has a link to lower activation at bedtime. Thus by meditating regularly, you can sleep well at night and thus be active throughout the day.
3. Reduces stress. Another major way in which meditation can turn you into a much better business owner is by reducing stress and anxiety. What meditation does is it tends to reduce the stress hormone called cortisol from our body, thus making you feel less anxious, stressed, and nervous. Stress is a major cause of several life-threatening diseases but by eliminating it meditation keeps you away from these health conditions. It helps you be a calm and composed figure at work. When your employees or workers see you calm and stress-free, they become less anxious and begin to be more positive.
4. Improves association with colleagues/competitors. Meditation has the capability to make a person more empathetic, positive and patient. These qualities can bring about a superb change in you, as far as your association with competitors and colleagues is concerned. Meditation enables you to improve communication with people around you, and this betters the relationship or association. With an improved association with colleagues, workers and competitors, any entrepreneur can gain more respect and positivity in return. In order to be a successful entrepreneur, every person needs to have a good image not just for those outside the company but also those who work with him/her.
5. Makes you patient. Patience is the most undervalued quality or skill for all midwives. No matter how passionate, skilled and knowledgeable you are, if you don’t have the patience to deal with people around you and birth itself, you will never be able to make your practice a success. What meditation does is that it helps midwives become much more patient. It instills in them a sense of calm and positivity which enables them achieve goals or deal with failures more patiently. It is thus important to meditate for a few minutes regularly and see this positive change in just a few days.
6. Makes the brain a more productive machine. Another reason why meditation can help you become a better business owner is because it makes your brain a much more productive machine and thus gives you the edge of multitasking, improving memory and thinking clearly. Meditation also makes way for certain brain changes that may protect it from mental illnesses. It has been proved that this practice is linked to an increase and improvement in the signaling of connections in the brain. Thus by meditating every day, you can use your knowledge and skills in a much better way and perform better at work.
7. Makes you more creative. Believe it or not but meditating regularly can make you much more imaginative and creative! This practice gives you more control over the mind and enables you to reach parts of the mind and imagination that you could never reach without it. It makes your soul more relaxed, and that makes way for better thinking, visualization, and imagination. Every midwife can gain a lot more by being creative and coming up with fresh ideas.
8. Helps maintain a balance. Balance is the key for any person to do well in life and the same holds true for midwives too. Without maintaining a balance between the work life, personal life, health, social life and other areas, an entrepreneur cannot reach success or satisfaction. This is why meditation is so crucial and important. It not only improves the professional and personal life of a person but helps establish a balance. Meditation improves health, makes one more conscious towards fitness and also boost overall productivity.
9. Makes working more enjoyable. Any business owner who doesn’t enjoy every bit of what he does can never be completely successful or satisfied. It is very important to enjoy every little thing you do – from thinking creatively to attending meetings and from taking decisions to learning something new. Without passion and love, work may begin to seem like a chore. But with regular sessions of it, a person can begin to take deep interest in everything he does and motivate himself to do it passionately. A midwife who seems happy throughout the day is a motivation for others as well.
10. Makes way for happiness. Happiness is nothing but a deep sense of satisfaction, calm, passion and absence of negativity. A good entrepreneur is one who is happy, content, motivated and always active. Meditation is one way to achieve complete happiness and eventually results in a person becoming a better entrepreneur.
11. Keeps away illnesses. Your health can benefit greatly from meditation. Not only does it keep you away from stress related illnesses but also keeps the risk of depression down. With regularly interactions with immune compromised pregnant women, having yourself healthy will less likely pass germs to these mothers and babies. It can help prevent many diseases and health conditions and hence also results in keeping the yearly medical bills down too. This in turn means more presence at the birth and office visits.